Feeding your Guests is the biggest expense of your reception. This means you must seriously look at the number of Guests you wish to host and the type of food you wish to serve and be realistic within your budget. Typically the starting point would be around $30.00 per person, plus tax and gratuity.
Your Guests will remember the meal, so it is important to make it a good one! Only hire a reputable caterer. Ask to see their menus. Ask what is included in their food cost quote – does it include the staff, the set up and tear down. Do they set the tables? Do they handle the rentals or is that your responsibility?
If you are at a venue with a catering staff included you must still understand the costs, and as with everything else – get it in writing.
Things to consider:
- Do you get to do a tasting before you sign a contract?
- Should you offer a buffet or a plated meal?
- Do they have late night offerings?
- What is the ratio of service staff to the number of Guests?
- What do they do with the leftovers?